Who is it for?
Unlike other friendly bacteria supplements on the market, 'Pregnancy' contains 3 high quality strains which are extensively researched in and carefully selected for pregnancy from conception through to birth, as well as for post-birth and breastfeeding.
Optibac Probiotics Strains
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001
- Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14®
- Bifidobacterium lactis HN019
Who is Pregnancy for?
Prenatal supplement for pregnant women from conception through to birth. Also suitable and researched during breastfeeding and the 6 months+ post birth.
- Each serving contains 12 billion live cultures + 30 mg FOS fibres and the billions count is guaranteed until end of expiry
- Contains well researched friendly bacteria strains which have been trialled in hundreds of pregnant women
- All three strains are scientifically proven to pass through stomach acidity and survive to reach the gut
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14® are also proven to reach the vaginal tract
- Complements your natural gut bacteria
- Maternal supplementation of L. rhamnosus HN001 may have beneficial immune effects for both mother and baby
- L. rhamnosus HN001 has been shown to stimulate immunological responses
- Easy to take on the go – no refrigeration required
- No refrigeration necessary when stored in a cool, dry place below 25°C
- Recommended for daily use
- Winner of Janey Loves Platinum Award 2020
- From the UK’s most trusted & recommended brand of friendly bacteria supplements. As determined in an independent survey of 1000 British women+.
Available to order in one pack size of 30 capsules.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr. Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nutritional Medicine) Nutritional Therapist.
Should you take friendly bacteria in pregnancy?
Expectant mums may worry whether it's safe to take live cultures during pregnancy, especially as some other natural health supplements are not recommended at this time. However, Pregnancy contains friendly bacteria strains which have been clinically trialled in pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and shown to be safe1, so it's particularly suitable for use in pregnancy and early motherhood.
How does this supplement differ to other live cultures supplements for pregnancy?
Pregnancy contains specific strains of friendly bacteria which have extensive research to support their use all the way from conception, throughout pregnancy and into early motherhood2. Other brands often use the same strains of live cultures in all of their supplements, and simply add other ingredients to differentiate how they can be used. Unlike other brands, Pregnancy contains live cultures which have been researched during pregnancy, so there's no need for any added ingredients. However, should you wish to take other prenatal supplements and vitamins, then it is fine to take your Pregnancy supplement alongside these.
What are FOS fibres?
FOS stands for Fructo-oligosaccharides and is a type of non-digestible carbohydrate. This means that it is not able to be broken down in the small intestines, and instead enters the large intestine where it is fermented by the good bacteria living there.
Food supplement suitable for pregnant women from conception through to birth and for breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding women post birth with the following recommendations:
- Take 1 capsule daily, preferably with breakfast.
- For those unable to swallow capsules, open and mix contents with a cool drink / food.
- Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
- May be taken on an ongoing basis or as professionally directed.
- For best results use daily.
Morning sickness and/or nausea is a common symptom in pregnancy and therefore pregnant women often prefer taking supplements in the form of capsules. To make taking Pregnancy capsules as easy as possible, we recommend tilting the head forward to swallow the capsule. Details below:
- When swallowing tablets, it’s common to put the tablet in your mouth, drink some water and knock the head back to swallow it (i.e. look up before swallowing). Doing this uses the weight of the tablet to move it to the back of the throat and makes it easier to swallow successfully.
- With a capsule, however, this won’t work because of the air in the capsule. Instead, while the capsule and water are in the mouth, we recommend to look down before swallowing. This will buoy the capsule to the top of the water (back of the throat) and make it easier to swallow, particularly if morning sickness and/or nausea are a problem for the individual.
- For best results, do not remove desiccant sachet from the glass jar and close lid firmly after each use.
- Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight.
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Probiotic supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.